UKM and the patient draw up a written contract in German or English for the provision of treatment at UKM. The written agreement can be sent by fax in urgent cases.
Prior to the conclusion of a treatment contract, the patient provides UKM with any medical records he/she has which are necessary for the treatment, either in German or in English. The following information is required:
- Admission diagnosis and the treatment required (information given by pre-treatment doctors); alternatively, prior diagnostic findings and descriptions of the symptoms can be sent if the diagnostic analysis up to this point has not yet established a diagnosis.
- Personal details about the patient (complete name, address, place of residence, date of birth, telephone number, e-mail address, passport number and expiry date).
- Information about the medical specialist treating the patient in his/her country of origin (name, hospital, address of surgery, e-mail address, telephone number) or information about the relevant family doctor (name, address of surgery, telephone number).
- If applicable, name, telephone number, and e-mail of a relevant contact person or of the agency making the arrangements.
- Indication of the wish for treatment by a chief physician.
- Indication of the desire for a particular kind of accommodation (single room or twin-bedded room), as far as capacity is available.
- If the treatment contract is being concluded by an agency which is making the arrangements, an authorization by the patient, in German, must also be sent to UKM.
- For a possible reimbursement of any outstanding balance, international bank details must be provided (IBAN number and SWIFT/BIC code).
On the basis of this information a decision is made by UKM as to whether treatment at UKM seems appropriate from a medical point of view. UKM decides whether it will accept the patient or not. UKM conveys the decision to the patient or his/her authorized representative, in writing, immediately after it has finished examining the case, but within five working days at the latest after receipt of the contract.